Horizon 2020 - FET, draft work programme 2016-2017
The European Commission published the draft work programme 2016-2017 in the area of Future and Emerging Technologies (FET)
FET focuses on research beyond what is known, accepted or widely adopted and supports novel and visionary thinking to open promising paths towards radically new technological possibilities. In particular, FET funds interdisciplinary collaborations that seek genuine cross-fertilisation and deep synergies between the broadest range of advanced sciences and cutting-edge engineering disciplines.
FET has three main lines of activity:
- FET Open supports the early-stages of the science and technology research and innovation around new ideas towards radically new future technologies;
- FET Proactive addresses promising directions for research on future technologies in order to build up a European critical mass of knowledge and excellence around them.
- FET Flagships are science-driven, large-scale, multidisciplinary research initiatives oriented towards a unifying goal, aiming at transformational impacts with substantial benefits for European competitiveness and for society.
The work programme foresees 4 calls for proposals:
Call - FET-Open – Novel ideas for radically new technologies
- FETOPEN-01-2016-2017: FET-Open research and innovation actions
- FETOPEN-02-2016: FET-Open Coordination and Support Actions
- FETOPEN-03-2017: FET-Open Coordination and Support Actions
- FETOPEN-04-2016-2017: FET Innovation Launchpad
Call - FET Proactive – Boosting emerging technologies
- FETPROACT-01-2016: FET Proactive: emerging themes and communities FETPROACT-02-2017: FET ERANET Cofund
- FETPROACT-03-2016: FET ERANET Cofund in Quantum Technologies
Call - FET Proactive – High Performance Computing
- FETHPC-01-2016: Co-design of HPC systems and applications
- FETHPC-02-2017: Transition to Exascale Computing
- FETHPC-03-2017: Exascale HPC ecosystem development
Call - FET FLAGSHIPS – Tackling grand interdisciplinary science and technology challenges
- FETFLAG-01-2016: Partnering environment for FET flagships
There are also other actions, such as:
- Graphene FET Flagship core project,
- Human Brain Project (HBP) FET Flagship core project.
Projects funded under the Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) part of Work Programme 2016-2017 will by default participate in the Pilot on Open Research Data in Horizon 2020.
The provisional budget of the work programme is 570 million of euros (230 million of euros for 2016, 340 million of euros for 2017). The adoption and the publication of the work programmes by the EU Commission are expected in mid-October 2015.